A night cream is a moisturizer in which there is a greater concentration of hydrating ingredients than is typically used in a day cream or lotion. Because of this richness, night creams may leave the skin with a slight occlusive layer that many people would not be comfortable wearing during the day or under foundation.
There are two reasons why a night cream is useful. One is that transepidermal water loss (TEWL) is greatest at night, and a night cream can help prevent that kind of dehydration. Two is that the body’s cells are replenished with nutrients and are being regenerated at night, so this is the time to optimize the delivery of the raw materials skin needs. Now, too, is when free radical damage from the environment is at its lowest point. You’re indoors, in the dark and not active, so fewer free radicals are being produced within your skin as well. You can take advantage of this break in the action to disarm the free radicals that have accumulated during the day and saturate the skin with an extra supply so that you don’t start the next day unprotected.
We recommend the following intense and moisturizing night creams:
- AGE-BALANCING NIGHT CREAM to replenish moisture.
While your body rests, this luxurious, hydrating cream boosts and restores moisture, improves elasticity, and minimizes the appearance of wrinkles overnight.
- Essential Fatty Acids and Shea Butter provide and lock in intense hydration against dry, dull skin
- Phytoestrogens and Retinol improve elasticity and help smooth skin
- ESSENTIAL-C NIGHT MOISTURE to neutralize toxins.
This ultra-hydrating formula encourages healthy cell renewal to reveal healthier, younger-looking complexion overnight.
- Vitamin C neutralizes toxins and fights free radical damage
- Shea butter delivers deep, instant hydration to reduce creases
- PERFECTING NIGHT CREAM hydrate overnight.
Rejuvenate your skin overnight by restoring hydration and promoting cell turnover.
- Evening Primrose and Borage Seed Oils, both rich in Omega-6, restore lost moisture
- Medowsweet Extract refines
|Article by Howard Murad, M.D., FAAD, a world renowned skincare expert and founder of the Inclusive Health movement. Read more about Dr. Murad.|