Regular exfoliation is one of the things you can do to help transform your skin to a younger, healthier look. Deriving its name from Latin, “exfoliation” means “to peel off leaves,” and for centuries people have been peeling off the layer of dead skin cells using various exfoliation methods.
When you exfoliate, you are removing the dead skin cells from the upper layer of the skin, revealing the young, healthy cells underneath and encouraging new skin growth.
There are a number of reasons to consider incorporating regular exfoliation into your skincare routine:
- Exfoliating reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Skin appears brighter, fresher and healthier after exfoliating.
- Exfoliating prior to using a treatment product allows the active ingredients to better penetrate the skin.
- Exfoliating helps to unclog pores, which can prevent acne breakouts.
- Exfoliating speeds up the cell renewal process.
There are many ways to exfoliate, including scrubs, masks, brushes and microdermabrasion devices. Since everyone’s skin is different, with varying sensitivity, Dr. Murad recommends starting with an Murad scrub or mask first and monitoring how your skin reacts. Once you know your skin isn’t highly sensitive to exfoliating, you may wish to move on to trying other exfoliating tools and professional treatments.