If negative emotions and stress can cause disease and make us less healthy, surely positive mental states and life-enhancing therapies that make us feel good can slow the inflammatory process, leaving us healthier, happier and as beautiful as we can be.
There are a great number of ways for you to take some healing time for yourself. A walk, a warm bath, a massage, it is all about what works best for you. But sometimes, a most common act such a breathing can make all the difference.
Without realizing it, most of us take short, shallow breaths, especially during times of stress. This leads to poor circulation and adds to tension. Try to breathe deeply into your abdomen whenever your find yourself anxious.
Here is an exercise that takes only a few minutes but that can change your next few hours.
A Sample Deep-Breathing Exercise:
- Wear loose clothing and lie down.
- Exhale through the nose for as long as you can.
- Inhale through the nose, to a count of ten, feeling your diaphragm and abdomen rise.
- Try to inhale enough air to fill your lungs completely.
- Slowly exhale to a count of twenty, pushing every breath of air from your lungs.
- Continue for two to three minutes.
You can repeat it as many times throughout the day as you want. Bonus if you let go a big big smile at the end!
Source: The Cellulite Solution by Howard Murad M.D